WSET Level 3 in Wines
Become an expert in wines
Build your wine expertise
Becoming an expert in wine passes through the WSET Level 3 awards in wines. This is an advanced 5 days+ program to bring you to the next level
You will understand and be able to explain the key factors influencing the style and quality of wines from around the globe.
You will taste 70+ wines and practice an advanced method for tasting, based on the WSET Syatematic Approach to Tasting (SAT).
Is this course made for you?
The WSET Level 3 award in Wines is a advanced intermediate certification.
This course is designed for those who already have a solid base knowledge of wine and want to go the extra mile. Designed for professionals who already work in the wine industry, this course is perfectly suitable for amateurs looking for reaching out the next step in their wine knowledge, for themselves or for shifting career.
Attending the WSET Level 3 award in wines requires to have passed the WSET Level 2 award in wines or having an equivalent base knowledge.
Passing the Level 3 award in wines is a required step to access the WSET Diploma program (Level 4)
What will you learn?
The course is made of two units :
Unit 1 : The theory of Wines of the World
- The key human and natural factors influencing the production of wine : climate, location, viticulture, winemaking, ageing and bottling
- The influence of these factors on the styles, quality and price of still, sparkling and fortified wines of the world
- You will be able to apply your knowledge to explain style and quality of wines and advice customers and staff about wines
Unit 2 : The analytical tasting of wine
- Tasting wines from around the globe, using the Systematic Approach to Tasting (SAT) level 3
- 70+ wines tasted will give you a tremendous experience
Download the WSET Level 3 Award in Wines specifications
How does a level 3 course work?
Our course length is around 30 hours per day during 5 days, led by a WSET certified educator. About 50-60 hours of personal study is required.
The course usually starts at 9AM and finishes at 5PM inclusive of lunch breaks.
The exam for the L3 Award in Wines will be at beginning of day 6.
It consists in a total of 2.5 hours as follows:
- Unit 1: 120 mn
- Part 1: 50 multiple choice questionnaire
- Part 2 : 4 short written answer questions
A mark of 55% in each part is required for reaching a pass in this unit
- Unit 2 :
- 30 mn tasting examination of 2 wines
A 55% mark is required to achieve a pass in this unit.
In order to be awarded the WSET Level 3 award in wines, candidates must achieve a pass in both units of the exam.
Teaching resources :
Once your registration is validated, you will receive the course material, consisting in a textbook, a study guide, and the SAT .
In the classroom, the course will be delivered through visual presentations, guided tastings, self assessment tasting. Above all, interactions within the classroom are the key to success. Do not expect to silently listen to your educator, you will actively learn!